Thursday, January 12, 2012

My decision...

I was told today that the surgeon will take into account my BRCA-1 gene mutation... Which meant I was now free to make the choice of a double mastectomy, instead of the lumpectomy that was planned for Friday. Big problem, Cancer Board confirmed that I'll be going through chemotherapy and radiation.  What does this mean for my breast reconstruction I was planning on?? It will be on hold for a year until treatments are over. 

They gave me a day to decide the fate of my breasts. Tomorrow I sign the consent forms.

All day I've been hearing things like, "just take them off, get rid of that nasty cancer forever!", "you are more than just a pair of breasts, girl!!" etc etc. As if I don't know these things?  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate people trying... but the bottom line is, unless you've faced the decision of cutting off your breasts, I'd prefer to just not hear these things from you.

There's only one person I wanted to hear an opinion from, and she's gone forever. But, I can hear my  mama loud and clear. I know what she'd say, afterall, she went through it.

Tomorrow I'll sign the consent forms for a double mastectomy. Friday I will lose my chichis for good. 







No comments:

Post a Comment