Wednesday, March 28, 2012

3rd chemo down...

Like the title says, today was chemo number three... I don't believe I ever gave specifics on what I'm taking... it's an AC regimen, please don't ask me to remember the long names! Wiki it, it has a list of regimens on there =) I will be taking it for four cycles and then moving on to a new regimen... Can't remember that one, I'll post it when I know it.

Mentally and emotionally, I'm feeling better than my last post. The kids seem to be making more effort... perhaps because their father is coming a bit out of his shell?? He's taken on the task of cooking dinners, which is nice... I was kinda worn out and getting exhausted from them. Plus, my nephew doesn't like my cooking! just his mama's =( I could only try so hard... I just don't cook like her. So, anyway,  T's doing the cooking again and everyone is happier... he actually socializes while he cooks! I'm glad to see him feeling up to it =) =)

So, for anyone who reads this that's going through, or will be, or knows someone going through chemo... I'll document what I've dealt with so far.

-hair fell out on around day 13, about right on time according to the chemo ladies.  I opted to shave it before it started falling out too bad, as I decided to take control of it and break the emotional cycle of watching my beautiful hair dropping to the floor... so I say, take charge! it's one of the few things we can control =)

-got a mouth sore after 2nd treatment, spoke with some of my TNBC (triple negative breast cancer) sisters for advice. My mouth was pretty torn up from all things hard... they recommended Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash, a soft bristled brush, and rinsing with salt/baking soda water after each meal. I'm happy to report the sore is gone and my mouth doesn't feel raw anymore! Curious to see if it comes back after this treatment, or if I've found a magic cure for mouth sores thanks to those lovely ladies =)

-suffered an allergic reaction from the dexamethasone this time... it's the pre-treatment steroid they give you to help fight side effects of the chemo. It consisted of a bright red/hot face and shortness of breath.  Silly me, ever trying to "not bother" people decided to keep it to myself and go to the restroom to use my inhaler I had with me for my asthma.  =/ got called a bad name by the charge nurse for doing that.... and told that from now on, they are following me into the bathroom to make sure I'm not going in there to hide ... so kids, if you don't want the chemo nurses to get angry with you, tell them when you feel funky, okay!?     lol

-other than that, just some general exhaustion, dizziness, slight nausea, diarhea, and body aches. No big deal... I got this =)     
 

1 comment:

  1. You got this!! Praying for strength (physical, spiritual, mental) for you.

    SO glad your brother-in-law is coming out of his numbness--will continue praying for him and his kids.

    I cannot even begin to imagine how any of you might feel.

    You bless me with your honesty and your strength in sharing your heart and your grief. You remind me to be more appreciative of my family members (especially when I feel annoyed by them).

    ReplyDelete